|Replanting of the park surrounding the headquarters||The project shared with the Municipality of Segrate and Fondazione Porcinai saw the redevelopment of the green areas surrounding the headquarters with:|
– the felling of 108 Italian poplars;
– 183 plantings, of which 85 Italian poplars (auditorium row, west lakefront side and woods), 48 lime trees (east parking lot sporting side) and 50 trees donated to the Municipality of Segrate.
Once the work was completed, the area’s tree heritage increased by over 60%, respecting the park’s design and existing species.
|Decommissioning of the underground gas station tanks.||By the end of 2020, the tanks will be removed and the surrounding area reclaimed.|| |
|Project for the proper disposal of plastic at the headquarters||The first phase of monitoring of separate collection inside the offices has begun; initiatives for the disposal of plastic waste at source will follow.|| |
|Replacement of office printers with more efficient models and consequent reduction in toner consumption and related waste||Among the measures taken to reduce the environmental impacts of Group offices and stores, efforts have been made in recent years to raise awareness of the responsible use of toners and paper for printing in offices. Over the last three years in particular, the Group has managed to reduce the consumption of printing paper by approximately 32%.|
Toners have also witnessed a decrease in the three-year reporting period, thanks to the replacement in 2018 of all the printers at the Italian sites, including the directly-managed stores, with new all-in-one printers – printer, scanner and photocopier – which, together with print quality and the possibility of printing on any machine at the sites, guarantee a strong reduction in energy consumption and consumables (paper and toners).
|Indirect energy GHG emissions reduction||The trend in electricity consumption in Italy has been steadily falling over the past three years: the approximately 18% reduction between 2017 and 2019 is due partly to the energy saving measures and actions implemented over the year:|
– replacement in June of the north well pump with a new inverter pump to reduce water and electricity consumption at nighttime and in winter, with consumption proportional to actual needs, while still ensuring a minimum constant flow to the lake. Annual savings are estimated at approximately 28,000 kWh, while the reduction in groundwater use is estimated at approximately 250,000 m3/year;
– replacement in March of the north tower well booster pumps with new inverter pumps to reduce water and electricity consumption, with consumption proportional to actual needs. Annual savings are estimated at approximately 7,000 kW;
– for both Palazzo Niemeyer and Cascina Tregarezzo, the electrical energy monitoring system was upgraded in accordance with Legislative Decree 102/2014. The system allows to split energy consumption based on use (conditioning, motive power, lighting, auxiliary devices), crucial for implementing new saving measures.
Initiatives planned or in the pipeline for 2020
– splitting of the induction system on the main building, north side;
– replacement of the south well pump with a new inverter pump to reduce water and electricity consumption at nighttime and in winter;
– installation of inverters on multi-purpose well booster pumps;
– installation of a new geothermal unit for the treatment of technical environments such as the UPS battery room, the documentation centre and the control room;
– installation of inverters on well pumps, in order to reduce water and electricity consumption proportional to actual needs. Estimated reduction in electricity consumption: 5%.
|Calculation of emissions before and after the Group’s activities||Since 2015, an estimate of emissions related to the logistics of publications (primary transport) has been made, with the intention of expanding the scope of reporting on the supply chain with regard to the production of paper books and magazines|| |
|Creation of a company policy for waste separation and greater awareness by employees, establishment of a database for the collection of information on waste, and definition of a procedure for the management of waste generated by maintenance||Monitoring of waste management is currently in effect at the Segrate location; possible solutions to expand the scope are being examined|| |